When working with an advanced Smile Simulation or 3D project, you will need to calibrate the intraoral scan on your frontal facial photo before starting your design. Follow these simple steps to calibrate the STL file.
1. Go into the app and tap on the menu bar in the screen's upper-left corner. A side-menu will display; tap on New Case.
2. On the New Case screen, tap on the Smile Simulation or 3D Smile Design icon. This will open the Select Files window.
3. On Select Files, you input your Full Smile photo and your IO-Scan file. If you need more assistance on uploading your IO scan file, please refer to the following articles, How to Download & Upload My iTero Intraoral Scan Into the App? Or How Do I Upload My Intraoral Scan Into the App?
4. Once your files are uploaded, a 3D Calibration screen will appear; you will see your patient's smile with a red, orange, and green circle on this screen. The red circle will be placed on the incisal tip of the cuspid on the left side of the image (patient's right side), the orange circle will be placed on the contact point of the proximal surfaces of two centrals towards the incisal area, and the green circle will be placed on the incisal tip of the cuspid on the right side of the image (patient's left side). Once this calibration is complete, you will calibrate the intraoral scan located on the screen's lower portion.
Note: You may work from left-to-right or right-to-left.
5. To work more comfortably on the 3D intraoral scan with a pinch-in motion, we suggest enlarging the scan's size. You must keep the same sequence as you did for the patient's 2D portion. This means that you would use this same sequence on the 3D portion if you started from left-to-right. If you use a different sequence to place the dots, this will cause the app to miss-read the STL file and invert it. Your points should look something similar to the reference images attached.
6. Once you have finished the calibration of these points, you tap on the Calibrate icon on the bottom of the screen.
7. This will open the second part of the 3D calibration. You can adjust the intra-oral scan's opacity, position and rotation, and zoom. Once you have finished adjusting your scan, you will tap on the icon titled Done on the screen's bottom-right corner.
Important: For a full video tutorial on how to calibrate your IO-Scan and complete your smile desing, please CLICK HERE.